As its valentines week, here are some meringue kisses for your loved one! They are small, pretty, fun and delicious. They are really easy to make, only using two ingredients: egg white and sugar. The quantity of mixture can be increased or decreased depending how much you want to make. You simply use double the amount of sugar to egg white. To get a perfect meringue you need to cook it on a low heat for a long time. These meringue kisses are perfect for parties and to enjoy with friends!
Egg white – I usually use 5 eggs, which equals around 150g egg white.
Double the amount of sugar to weight of egg white – I used 150g egg white, so I used 300g sugar.
- Preheat an oven to 100°C and line a baking tray with baking parchment.
- Combine sugar and egg white in a pan, heat on the hob until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Immediately place the mixture into a bowl and whisk until thick and glossy. You should be able to turn the bowl completely upside down without the mixture moving. This may take around 15 minutes to whisk.
- Prepare icing bags with nozzles, I used 3 bags for these as I used 3 colours. In each bad wipe food paste in lines down the inside using a cocktail stick. Remember less is more when it comes to food colouring. Place the meringue mixture into the piping bags. Pipe away, whatever shapes you want, for this I did small swirls.
- Cook for around 45 minutes, until crisp and the meringues lift off the parchment intact. Allow to cool, then sandwich together with fresh whipped cream and enjoy.
The meringues unfilled will last for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container.
Hope you have a great weekend!