Here’s a little valentines treat for you. A delicious strawberry frangipane tart. Layers of crisp pastry, jam, almond cake mix and fresh fruit. This makes a lovely dessert if your treating someone to a home cooked meal, or great if you have friends around in the afternoon for a slice and a cup of tea (or a glass of something fizzy!).
For the Pastry
225g Gluten Free Plain Flour
Water to form dough
For the filling
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
100g Ground Almonds
10g Gluten Free Plain Flour
4 tablespoons Strawberry Jam
- Preheat an oven to 200°C. Grease an 8 inch tin.
- To make the pastry rub the butter into the flour, slowly add water until it forms a ball of dough. Rest the pastry in the fridge for half an hour.
- Next roll out the pastry on a floured surface. The pastry tends to be quite crumbly, don’t worry if this happens, it’s very pliable. Squash the dough in small pieces if need be over the base and sides of the tin-this works just as well. Line the tin with baking parchment and baking beans and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the paper and beans and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Reduce the temperature of the oven to 180°C.
- Now to make the topping, in a bowl combine the butter and sugar until pale. Add the eggs. Then add the vanilla extract, ground almonds and plain flour.
- To assemble the filling, firstly melt the strawberry jam in the microwave for 30 seconds until runny. Spread across the base of the pastry case. Then add the frangipane mix. Finally arrange strawberries, pushing them into the frangipane mix.
- Bake for around 40 mins, until golden brown on top and when a skewer comes out clean.
I love this dessert served warm, with cream, ice cream and fruit! Incredibly delicious! As you can see, nothing lasts long in our house!